Start Time and Defaults
- Warm-up begins at 8:45 A.M. Play begins at 9:00 A.M. Any match that is not in progress at 9:10 constitutes a default for the late-arriving player unless other agreements have been made in advance by the involved players and approved by the Singles FT director. In the absence of an agreement, the player scheduled to play the late player wins that set by a score of 6-0. Players arriving late are not entitled to a warm-up as it will delay all other players in the round robin group.
- If you are not available to play due to an emergency or other late-breaking situation on the morning of the Fun Tournament:
- Please make every effort to find an appropriate substitute on your own and notify your court captain.
- If you cannot find a substitute, please notify your court captain and the Fun Tournament Director ASAP.
- Scores will be kept using the traditional method (not No-Ad or Second Deuce)
- If the game count is 5-all, then a Coman tiebreakeris played to determine the winner. In the Coman tiebreak procedure, teams switch sides after the first point of the tiebreak and every four points thereafter (5 total points, 9 total points, etc.). The winner of the tiebreak is the first team to reach 7 points, winning by at least 2 points. At the conclusion of the tiebreak, the score is recorded as 6 games (player winning the tiebreak) to 5 games (player losing the tiebreak).
In Case of Rain
- If play is interrupted by rain and two sets have been completed by each round robin group, add the scores at that point in time to determine a winner.
- If there is a tie between two players and the players competed against each other head-to-head during the tournament, then the winner of that head-to-head set prevails.
- If there is a tie between two players and the players did not play each other head-to-head during the tournament, then a spin of racquet, flip of coin, etc. determines the winner.
- If play is interrupted by rain and less than two sets have been played and there is no chance that the rain will stop or the courts will be playable in a reasonable period of time, then play may be rescheduled at the discretion of the Singles FT Director after consideration of court availability, ease of reschedule, and availability of players.
- If play is rescheduled and again rained out, a second rain-out will NOT be scheduled or played. The winners will be determined based on the last completed round of play. A 6-0 default counts as a round played.
- There will be no refunds issued in the case of double rainouts. This is a rare occurrence.
Determination of Winners
- Winners are decided at each round robin group in the following descending order:
- Number of sets won.
- Most games won.
- Least games lost.
- If players are tied at this point and played each other head-to-head during the tournament, then the winner of that head-to-head set prevails. If the tied players did not compete head-to-head against each other, then a spin of racquet, flip of coin, etc. determines the winner. Extra awards will not generally be given to satisfy ties; however, ties will be acknowledged and listed in the newsletter.
- If there is “no show” forfeit, then the players playing 3 sets score all sets. At the completion of all scheduled sets, the numbers 1 – 4 are put into a ball can and one number drawn out. All players playing four sets then throw out the score of the set number that was drawn. Winners are determined on the basis of the remaining three sets.
- If a player suffers an injury during the tournament, then the number of games won and lost at the time of the retirement stands. The uninjured player will be credited with winning that set. Any players subsequently scheduled to play the injured player will record a 6-0 win.
- If a fourth set has not begun by 11:15 A.M, then the winner at that site will be determined based on three sets. Any fourth sets started will not count unless all teams have started a fourth set by 11:15 A.M. If any player does not begin its fourth set before 11:15 A.M., the entire site will only use scores from the first three sets.
- Please give your score sheet and balls to your court captain before leaving the site. The team winning the last set is responsible for returning the balls over to the court captain who then returns them to the Fun Tournament Director.
- Please be a good sport and practice good tennis etiquette. It is important to have good competition to maintain the integrity of play, but remember that this is a fun tournament, not the Wimbledon Final. The objective is to have competitive play, meet new people, get some exercise, and HAVE FUN !!
- The lunch site will be determined by the Singles FT Director. Lunch fees are included in the tournament registration.
- Any BRWTA members wishing to attend “Lunch Only” must contact the Singles FT Director in advance so that luncheon reservations can be made and confirmed.
- If a player participated in the tournament but cannot attend the luncheon, that portion of the registration fee is non-refundable.
- Prizes will be awarded for 1st and 2nd place in each division of play.
- In the case of a tie and the lack of head-to-head competition between the two affected players, the winner will be determined by a flip of a coin, racquet spin, etc. If there are extra prizes available that day, then both tied players may be awarded prizes at the discretion of the Singles Fun Tournament Director. If not, only the player winning the head-to-head competition or the coin flip will be awarded the prize. However, the names of both tied players will be noted in the newsletter.