Article I – Name
The name of the organization is the Baton Rouge Women’s Tennis Association.
Article II – Purpose
The purpose of this volunteer organization is to promote women’s interest in Baton Rouge tennis affairs and to encourage junior tennis players in this area. It is not organized for pecuniary profit; it is a membership organization having no capital stock.
Article III – Eligibility for Membership
Any woman of good character past her eighteenth birthday and interested in tennis is eligible for membership.
Article IV – Dues and Assessment
- Dues shall be paid to the Membership Chairperson and deposited by the Treasurer.
- No money shall be raised by assessments upon members, but projects may be undertaken to raise funds for special events.
Article V – Officers and Elections
- The officers and the directors constitute the Board of Directors. The Executive Board is composed of the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.
- The purpose of the Board of Directors is to transact the business of the Association subject to the approval of the membership.
- Vacancies among the officers or directors or nominating committee are filled by a vote of the Board of Directors. Such officers will serve an interim term until the next annual meeting. Any resignations shall be presented in writing and addressed to the President of BRWTA.
- The nominating committee is elected by the Board of Directors and consists of three board members. One member of the nominating committee is the Vice-President, who is chairperson, and the other two persons elected to the committee are members-at-large.
a. At least 50% of the present board must be retained each year.
b. The nominee for president must have served on the Board for one year before being eligible.
c. The vice-president automatically becomes the presidential nominee following two years serving as vice-president.
d. The treasurer is elected for a minimum two-year term, with no maximum limit, as long as books are audited annually.
e. A committee report will be given to the membership via newsletter prior to the annual meeting.
f. Nominations may be made from the floor at the annual meeting if the nominee has given her consent.
Article VI – Duties of Officers
- The President presides at all meetings of the Association. She also presides at all board meetings and ensures that all decisions of the organization are executed. She is an ex-officio member of all committees during her term as well as of the Board for one year following her term.
- The Vice-President assists the president and performs the duties of the president in her absence. The Vice-President coordinates special events decided upon by the board.
- The Secretary keeps the minutes of all meetings of the Association. She provides copies of the minutes of any previous general or board meeting to the board members. She also handles any correspondence.
- The Treasurer receives, disburses, and manages the Association’s financial accounts. She expends no unauthorized monies. She also makes a financial report at monthly board meetings and provides an annual financial report.
Article VII – Duties of Directors
- The Newsletter Chairperson coordinates the collection of news, printing and mailing of the Association’s newsletter monthly or at the discretion of the Board.
- The Publicity Chairperson/ Historian contacts the news media regarding the organization’s activities, tournament results and any other newsworthy item. She also keeps pictures and newsworthy items in a scrapbook that is displayed at the Fun Tournament luncheons.
- The Membership Chairperson maintains computer records for mailing lists, membership records and directory information. She contacts all new members to inform them of the organization’s activities and to encourage active participation. She is also responsible for the preparation of the directory which shall be distributed to members.
- The Prize Chairperson provides trophies/prizes for all tournaments and purchases any special awards needed. This office may be held jointly with only one vote.
- The Tournament Director schedules/opens monthly tournaments, reserves courts and addresses any issues which may arise during registration. She also gives final head count to luncheon facility.
Article VIII – Meetings
- Regular meetings of officers and directors will be held at a time and place agreed upon by the current board. Attendance of all officers and board members is mandatory.
- The regular annual meeting shall be held in May to elect officers and directors for the subsequent club year.
- Special meetings must by called by the President.
Article IX – Quorum
- A quorum must be present at all meetings for the transaction of business.
- General membership quorum consists of 15% of the members.
- A board quorum consists of more than 50% of the Board.
Article X – Amendments
- Amendments to the By-Laws must be first approved by the Board of Directors and then presented to the general membership. Amendments must be approved by a 2/3 vote of members present provided that the membership had ten days written notice of the pending amendments and vote .
- Club policies may be changed by a 2/3 vote of board members.
Article XI – Parliamentary Authority
- The authority for all rules of procedure and the answer to questions of parliamentary law shall be Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised.
- The Parliamentarian shall be appointed by the president and shall chair a committee which reviews the by-laws annually. Such revisions shall first be approved by the Board before presentation to the membership for approval. She shall attend the BRWTA Board meetings as a non-voting member.
Article XII – Executive Secretary
- A Board-appointed Executive Secretary for BRWTA may be contracted at the discretion of the Board to perform the following duties:
a. Provide assistance and guidance to the President and committee chairpersons as needed.
b. Attend all board meetings and serve in a non-voting capacity to the BRWTA Board.
Article XIII – Tournament Chairperson
- A Board-appointed Tournament Chairperson for BRWTA may be contracted at the discretion of the Board to perform the following duties:
a. Run the monthly Fun Tournaments
b. Do the tournament draws
c. Attend all board meetings.